Where to Start
The Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game is about storytelling in worlds of swords and sorcery. Like games of make-believe, D&D is driven by imagination. It’s about picturing a crumbling castle in a darkening forest and imagining how a fantasy adventurer might react to the challenges that scene presents.
In this fantasy world, the possibilities are limitless.
Unlike a game of make-believe, D&D gives structure to the stories—a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers’ actions. Players roll dice to determine whether their attacks hit or miss and whether their characters can scale a cliff, roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. Anything is possible, but the dice make some things more probable than others.
FOR YOUNGER READERS
If you (or someone you know) is interested to find out more about Dungeons & Dragons, the Young Adventurers Guide series provides illustrated primers to the types of characters, creatures, and adventures that help make up the game of D&D.
YOUNG ADVENTURERS GUIDES
The perfect jumping-on point for young fans of fantasy looking to give D&D a try. In these illustrated guides, you're transported to the legendary and magical worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, where you are presented with one-of-a-kind entries for different elements of the game—including detailed illustrations, maps, cutaway illustrations, and fun insights.
- Warriors & Weapons: A guide to many of the characters you can play, along with essential weapons and adventuring tools.
- Monsters & Creatures: One-of-a-kind entries for some of the game's most sinister, foul, and memorable monsters.
- Dungeons & Tombs: A unique course on the dungeons and deathtraps for which the game is known.
- Wizards & Spells: A look at the wizards, sorcerers, and other magic-makers of D&D, including how spells are created and used in the game!
READY TO TRY D&D?
If you're looking to start playing Dungeons & Dragons, consider any of the following boxed sets. Whether it's the classic D&D Starter Set, the newer D&D Essentials Kit, or even one of our themed sets such as Rick and Morty or Stranger Things, each set contains everything you need to learn the basics of D&D and get started playing!
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS STARTER SET
The D&D Starter Set is your gateway to action-packed stories of the imagination. This boxed set contains the essential rules of the game plus everything you need to play heroic characters on perilous adventures in worlds of fantasy. Explore subterranean labyrinths! Plunder hoards of treasure! Battle legendary monsters!
Ideal for a group of 4-6, the D&D Starter Set includes:
- 64-page adventure book with everything the Dungeon Master needs to get started
- 32-page rulebook for playing characters level 1-5
- 5 pre-generated characters, with character sheets
- Set of 6 dice
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ESSENTIALS KIT
The D&D Essentials Kit is a new introductory product meant to bring D&D to audiences interested in jumping into a fantasy story. This boxed set contains the essentials you need to run a D&D game with one Dungeon Master and one to five adventurers. A newly designed rulebook on-boards players by teaching them how to make characters, and the included adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak, introduces a new 1-on-1 rules variant.
Ideal for a DM and 1-5 players, the D&D Essentials Kit includes:
- Dragon of Icespire Peak introductory adventure
- 6 blank character sheets
- Dungeon Master screen
- 81 cards for magic items, sidekicks and more
- Double-sided poster map for use with the adventure
- Set of 11 dice
STRANGER THINGS DUNGEONS & DRAGONS STARTER SET
The Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set contains everything players need to embark on a Stranger Things adventure including the essential rules of the roleplaying game. It's a great way for new as well as seasoned Dungeon & Dragons players to experience the D&D adventure Stranger Things character Mike Wheeler has created for his friends. Pick your character—will you be Will the Wise or Dustin the Dwarf? Get your fireballs ready as you investigate the mysterious castle and battle the ferocious Demogorgon. Prepare for just about anything, because the game just got stranger.
- Stranger Things adventure and rulebook
- 5 Stranger Things character sheets
- 2 Demogorgon figures (pre-painted and unpainted)
- Set of 6 dice
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS VS. RICK AND MORTY TABLETOP ROLEPLAYING GAME ADVENTURE
The world's greatest roleplaying game meets television's most dysfunctional family! What could possibly go wrong? D&D partnered with Adult Swim to bring this boxed set, blending the world of Dungeons & Dragons with the mad narcissistic genius of Rick Sanchez’s power-gaming sensibilities, and includes everything a Dungeon Master needs to channel their inner mad scientist and run a rickrolling adventure for up to 5 players.
- 64-page rulebook
- 32-page original adventure for levels 1–3
- 4-panel folding Dungeon Master screen
- 5 ready-to-play character sheets
- Set of 11 dice
WHAT'S NEXT: CORE RULEBOOKS
The above boxed sets provide a complete Dungeons & Dragons experience, enough to provide hours of play. You can even play through their adventures multiple times. You might be surprised at how differently things can turn out! But one of the most rewarding things about D&D is that it provides the opportunity to create characters, and even worlds, of your own—and that's where the core rulebooks come into play!
If you want to create a greater variety of characters or populate your adventures with other monsters, check out the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual. These rulebooks introduce you to the vast multiverse of D&D and invite you to create unique characters and worlds within it.
- Player's Handbook: For players of course, with everything needed to build and run a vast variety of characters.
- Dungeon Master's Guide: For DMs to run their game, create memorable adventures, and manage entire campaigns.
- Monster Manual: A resource to stock the dungeons and wilds of the game with sometimes wondrous, sometimes dangerous, and always fantastic creatures!