New to Dungeons & Dragons? We'll walk you through options that introduce and teach the game, and help get you started!
Where To Start
The Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game is about storytelling in worlds of swords and sorcery. Like games of make-believe, D&D is driven by imagination. It’s about picturing a crumbling castle in a darkening forest and imagining how a fantasy adventurer might react to the challenges that scene presents.
In this fantasy world, the possibilities are limitless.
Unlike a game of make-believe, D&D gives structure to the stories—a way of determining the consequences of the adventurers’ actions. Players roll dice to determine whether their attacks hit or miss and whether their characters can scale a cliff, roll away from the strike of a magical lightning bolt, or pull off some other dangerous task. Anything is possible, but the dice make some things more probable than others.
If you're new to D&D or want to start learning more about the rules of the game, we look at some of the options to help introduce more about the game as well as ways to get started playing!
For Younger Readers
If you (or someone you know) is interested to find out more about Dungeons & Dragons, the Young Adventurers Guide series provides illustrated primers to the types of characters, creatures, and adventures that help make up the game of D&D.
YOUNG ADVENTURERS GUIDES
The perfect jumping-on point for young fans of fantasy looking to give D&D a try. In these illustrated guides, you're transported to the legendary and magical worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, where you are presented with one-of-a-kind entries for different elements of the game—including detailed illustrations, maps, cutaway illustrations, and fun insights.
- Warriors & Weapons: A guide to many of the characters you can play, along with essential weapons and adventuring tools.
- Monsters & Creatures: One-of-a-kind entries for some of the game's most sinister, foul, and memorable monsters.
- Dungeons & Tombs: A unique course on the dungeons and deathtraps for which the game is known.
- Wizards & Spells: A look at the wizards, sorcerers, and other magic-makers of D&D, including how spells are created and used in the game!
WHAT'S NEXT: CORE RULEBOOKS
The above boxed sets provide a complete Dungeons & Dragons experience, enough to provide hours of play. You can even play through their adventures multiple times. You might be surprised at how differently things can turn out! But one of the most rewarding things about D&D is that it provides the opportunity to create characters, and even worlds, of your own—and that's where the core rulebooks come into play!
If you want to create a greater variety of characters or populate your adventures with other monsters, check out the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual. These rulebooks introduce you to the vast multiverse of D&D and invite you to create unique characters and worlds within it.
- Player's Handbook: For players of course, with everything needed to build and run a vast variety of characters.
- Dungeon Master's Guide: For DMs to run their game, create memorable adventures, and manage entire campaigns.
- Monster Manual: A resource to stock the dungeons and wilds of the game with sometimes wondrous, sometimes dangerous, and always fantastic creatures!